Monday, October 10, 2011

Sometimes the Difference You Make is Hard to See

In the morning I type blessings, looking through the screen at the faces of people I love who live halfway across the country or even on the other side of the world.

And, sometimes, in the quiet moments I wonder if what I do really makes a difference.

“You can’t see it in person,” hisses the enemy, “You can’t touch it. How do you know it’s real?”

Then I think about how I should be doing something tangible–rocking a baby, handing out food, building a house. I feel a heart-hunger to know the results with my five senses.

I whisper this to Jesus one morning as sunlight spills in through the open window. I ask Him if I’ve gotten it all wrong–if I should be doing something else.

A verse pops into my heart like a present left on the front porch…
Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

I’ve always thought of those words in the context of believing in God.

But this morning it seemed the One Who Loves Us whispered that part of faith is also about believing that our obedience makes a difference–even when we can’t see the results.

Sure of what we hope for…that our words matter in the world, that hearts out there really are encouraged, that the flicker of a screen can bring light to a life again.

Certain of what we do not see…that that the bonds we make, the needs we meet, the prayers we lift up are as real as what’s right in front of us–that the great I am is everywhere and in all we do in His name.
I think then of a conversation I had with Ann many months ago about much the same thing. We tossed and turned thoughts around between us until at the end we nodded, smiled and said…
How can we say that the virtual doesn’t matter when the Spirit is virtual?

The Kingdom has always been about more than what we can sense. It’s more about what we know in our hearts–and about following faithfully the One who whispers to us there–believing that in all things He is working together for good.

Sometimes that good is something we can see, touch, taste and smell.

And sometimes it’s built of eternal things that we won’t know until heaven.

And in the center of that musing the little bells jungle...... 13 notes in repsonse to todays "Blessing Project"
Hearts warmed.  Tears shared.  Love exchanged. All as I was pondering. Obedient.

Keep the faith.

Do what you do, be who you are, walk in that sometimes blind, always beautiful obedience.

Yes, each of us really makes a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment